Bramcote old church tower is also known locally as the 'sunken church'. This is in the belief that the rest of the church had sunk leaving only the tower standing. In reality, the chancel and nave were demolished shortly after Bramcote's new church, St Michael's and All Angels, was consecrated in 1861. The tower was due for demolition too but received an 11th hour reprieve in order to house 'monuments and memorial plaques'.
Bramcote, as a settlement, is mentioned in the Domesday book and there has been a church on the site since at least the 13th century. Other churches in Nottinghamshire of similar age and design have architectural features, particularly the windows, which match those in the tower. The tower houses an original oak bell frame which has been dated using dendrochronology techniques to 1586. There were 3 bells in the tower in 1861 but these were removed, re-
Originally known as a chapelry, Bramcote old church came under the jurisdiction of the mother church, St Mary's at Attenborough and, at various times, has been in the diocese of Lichfield, York, Lincoln and, latterly, Southwell and Nottingham.
This is the only known photograph of the church before the chancel and nave were taken down, possibly taken in the late 1850s.
'Friends of Bramcote Old Church Tower' began in 2004 to oversee the repair of this Grade II listed building and in 2010 5 trustees were selected to form a Trust . The group is now also a registered charity.
Click on The Project to find out what work the Trust and Friends have undertaken since 2004.